THE POINT Community Development Corporation
Where Community and Creativity Connect.
THE POINT Community Development Corporation is a non-profit organization dedicated to youth development and the cultural and economic revitalization of the Hunts Point section of the South Bronx. We work with our neighbors to celebrate the life and art of our community, an area traditionally defined solely in terms of its poverty, crime rate, poor schools, and substandard housing. We believe the area’s residents, their talents and their aspirations are THE POINT’s greatest assets. Our mission is to encourage the arts, local enterprise, responsible ecology, and self-investment in the Hunts Point community.
Purpose: The After-School Program Coordinator is an integral part of THE POINT CDC’s arts, literacy, and environmental after-school program. The after-school program runs Monday through Friday from 3 – 6PM and serves approximately 65 children in 1st – 8th grade, primarily from the Hunts Point neighborhood of the South Bronx. The days of the position are Monday through Friday totaling up to 25 hours per week. The After-School Coordinator should demonstrate experience working with the age groups above.
Reports to: Youth Programs Coordinator
The After-School Program Coordinator responsibilities include:
- Work alongside the Youth Programs Coordinator, Literacy Specialist and Youth Leaders Monday through Friday from 2-7PM.
- Organize participant escorts from the local Elementary Schools – PS 48 (Gymnasium), Bronx Charter School of the Arts (Art Studio), and Hyde Charter School & MS 424 (same building at Main Entrance).
- Collect and report back on all program data including daily Homework Help Sheets, Daily Attendance, and program updates on a regular basis via Google Drive.
- Creates and distributes all communications to families in verbal and written memos.
- Serve as main liaison to school administration, participant parents and other school officials throughout the year.
- Manage recruitment and registration for up to 65 students grades 1 through 8.
- Coordinate and manage youth development specialists, literacy specialists, volunteers, partnerships, schedules and work effort.
- Coordinate all ASP special events throughout the school year.
- Convene ASP staff meetings (daily check-in and out, weekly meetings, bi-weekly Managers meetings) and staff trainings.
- Facilitate program transitions as needed.
- Facilitate and lead others in the 6-step conflict resolution process in order to mediate conflicts between students/students and students/instructors.
- Write up and file incident reports and conflict resolutions, as well as collect incident reports from appropriate staff.
- Share reports with Youth Programs Coordinator and applicable staff & parents.
- Lead/escort off-site trips.
- Conduct regular classroom spot checks.
- Promote and recruit for other POINT programs and initiatives as applicable.
- Participate in staff training sessions throughout the year.
- Set a positive tone in the Main Atrium during After-school program hours.
- Meet and greet any visitors to our Main Atrium including guests, parents, and youth.
- Manage daily communication board in main atrium.
- Accompany Youth Programs Coordinator to meetings at local schools.
- Act as support staff during homework help hours.
- Nutritious snack order, set-up and inventory for ASP, to be ordered with Fiscal Officer every other week.
- Help document program objectives quarterly via program reports.
- Help support literacy & library programs.
- Assists in administration of Summer Camp PowerPoint.
- Other tasks as needed.
- High School Diploma and/or 2 years experience in education, literacy, social work, sports, youth development, and therapeutic and arts programming
- Experience working with Bronx-based communities and schools
- Working knowledge of Common Core and NY State Educational Standards
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent team player
- Strong project management skills
- Knowledge and familiarity with technology such as Google Drive, Tumblr and other Social Media programs
- Knowledge of Best Practices for Youth Development Programs
Email cover letter and resume to:
Please note, in the subject area of the email write: “ASP Coordinator position 2017-18.”
Revised: August 2017
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com