THE POINT CDC
Join the Hunts Point-Longwood Be A Buddy Volunteer Team!
The Hunts Point – Longwood Be A Buddy (BaB) program is designed to prepare the community for future climate events through climate health education and community preparedness. The Program is aimed at increasing community resilience, reducing vulnerabilities to heat emergencies and extreme weather and promoting connections between local residents. BaB seeks to strengthen the capacity of local residents, communities and organizations to withstand and emerge stronger from impacts of climate change and extreme weather. This is an initiative led by THE POINT in partnership with the Mayor’s Office of Recovery and Resiliency “COOL NEIGHBORHOODS NYC” program, the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH) and the Fund for Public Health NY (FDPNY).
- During regular, Non-emergency periods, attend meetings (about 4 hours a month) with Be A Buddy Volunteer Team Members
- During regular, non emergency periods, attend mandatory training sessions including but not limited to Emergency Management Training and Heat Health Trainings
- During regular, non emergency periods,spread the word in your community about the BaB. Tasks may include:
• Work with schools, churches, local businesses, and other community groups to educate community members and share vital information about the Be A Buddy program
• Attend community events as a representative of the Be A Buddy team to educate attendees on climate and emergency preparedness and resiliency and to solicit information to inform the project
• Support the project coordinator by attending meetings with community leaders to build support for the program
- During emergency periods such as a heat wave, or in advance of a climate emergency, check on vulnerable community residents, such as seniors and the chronically ill, to ensure they are well and prepared.
- Commitment to work with Be A Buddy Team for the 6-month project period
- Willingness to attend trainings, meetings and events totaling 8-10 hours a month including evenings and weekends as needed
- Familiarity with the Hunts Point/ Longwood community and local institutions
- Interest in or basic knowledge of climate change, resiliency, public health and local environmental justice issues
- Positive and enthusiastic attitude
- Willingness to work in a team-based setting with other members of the Be A Buddy program
- Ability to conduct presentations, engage individuals, and perform outreach tasks
- Bilingual English and Spanish is required
- Social media and communications skills a plus
Hours and Compensation:
Be A Buddy Volunteer Team Members will be required to attend monthly meetings and will engage in outreach activities for a total of 8 hours a month and for a period of 6 months (November 1, 2019 – June 22, 2020). Outreach team members will be compensated $100 dollars monthly. There may be an opportunity to continue as a Be A Buddy Volunteer Team Member, depending on projects progression.
Applicants must apply in person at THE POINT CDC at 940 Garrison Ave, Bronx, NY 10474, during business hours M-F 10am-6:00pm or online at www.thepoint.org. The deadline to apply is Thursday, November 1, 2018.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org